Our first CSA share came with a stunning batch of strawberries, red as gems, and three stalks of rhubarb. There’s really not a whole lot you can do with just three stalks of rhubarb – not quite enough for a crisp or a tart or an Upside Down Cake – but the perfect amount for a compote!
Need the easiest dessert idea in the world? Well, this is it.
- Chop up your rhubarb into about half-inch pieces.
- Avoid and discard the greens as it’s been hammered into my noodle my whole life that they’re poisonous. I remain skeptical, although I just stumbled on a “Cooking Light” article entitled: “Healthy Foods That Can Kill You,” starring the poor, downtrodden rhubarb green. Do not fear though: I promise the stalk is harmless.
- Take the stems off your strawberries, though I have no poisonous disclaimer about them – only a bitterness one.
- Put your strawberries and rhubarb stalks in a saucepan with a splash of water, three well-sized teaspoons of sugar, and a teaspoon of vanilla.
- Wait for a heavenly aroma to engulf your home.
- Then throw a few leaves of (preferably garden-fresh) chopped basil in right before serving.
Give it a whirl.