The transition to fall brings a colorful set of decadent, soupy, warm dishes in place of crispy, fruity, cooler ones. Out with fresh tomatoes, in with canned. Out with apples off the tree, in with crab apple jelly. This may seem like a sad state of affairs, but I’ve been assured that it’s actually quite wonderful.
Advice to overcome fall blues:
- Break out the cozy wool socks.
- Don’t go leafing. Someone will run you over with a tractor.
- Drink fall beer.
- I don’t care how old you are, carve a pumpkin.
- Eat at least one thing with cinnamon a day.
- Come up with 10 things to do with apples, because you’ll get at least that many a week in your share.
- Scarves are very in.
- Don’t be afraid of getting chubby. Winter bellies are a fabulous side effect of fall food (and an important precursor to hibernation).